Sunday 25 March 2007

Yet another reason I hate psychologist...

While in Waterstones the other week I came across "Magical unicorn cards". Now apparently "The magical unicorn cards will help you get messages for yourself & others...because the unicorns want to help you feel happy, safe & loved." These cards appear to work similar to a tarot card whereby one asks a question, selects a card (following a special ritual outlined in the guide book) & the answer is provided by the cards. These cards were concoted by a Dr. Doreen Virtue PH.D.

So who is Doreen virtue? "Dr. Doreen Virtue is a doctor of psychology and a fourth-generation metaphysician who works with the angelic, elemental, and ascended-master realms in her writings and workshops. Doreen is the author of more than 20 books about angels, chakras, Crystal Children, Indigo Children, health and diet, and other mind-body-spirit issues, including the best-selling Healing with the Angels and Messages from Your Angels books/angel cards."

"Doreen, who holds B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. degrees in counseling psychology, was the founder and former director of WomanKind Psychiatric Hospital at Cumberland Hall Hospital in Nashville, Tennessee. She was also an administrator at Woodside Women’s Hospital in the San Francisco Bay Area. Both all-women psychiatric hospitals specialized in treating women’s psychological issues. Doreen also directed three outpatient psychiatric centers, including an adolescent drug and alcohol abuse center."

Oh! My! God! Why on earth are they letting this women anywhere near anyone with a mental illness?! Now I'm a little uncomfortable with the concept of anyone who has no real medical qualifications dealing with & diagnosing any medical condition but especially those to do with mental illness. But hell , this is NOT just any psychologist this women is a real nut job!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

See they're pretty, but I bet they can't tell the future like my dragon cards can :p

My Half Of said...

I have a friend who because his "psychiatric doctors" thought that electroshock therapy was going to be good for him. ...They said it was "back in style" to deal with his Post Tramatic Stress. He didn't agree and had to sign himself out of the hospital Against Doctor's Orders to avoid it. In doing that he signed away all further Veteran's Admin care that he was qualified for. But he decided if this was what they had to offer he didn't want it.

So from this rant, would you agree with these treatment choices of traditionally trained psychiatrists who aim to get the "crazy" person to cope with whatever the prevailing culture defines as "normal" in whatever ways they believe is "best"?

Danger Rabbit said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I have a friend who works as a trainee clinical psycologist in a psychiatric wing of a hospital & I shall paraphrase (somewhat cynically) a story she told me about a girl who was suffering with Anorexia Nervousa.

It was decided that electric shock therapy was the treatment of choice for her & she was asked to consent to it. Which she did. When I asked what would have happened if she had refused I was told that she would have been considered unable to make descions in her own best interests & thereby sectioned under the mental health act as being being a danger to herself.

This would mean that the decsions regarding her treatment would be taken away from her & back into "medical" hands...

Catch 22 anyone?

Anonymous said...

I hate psychologists too for the mainstream things they told me,
like after I was molested they told me I would turn into a child molestor unless I paid psychologists alot of money to straighten me out while they never reported the molestor or put him on a sex offender list. They locked me up instead and started drugging me, then I became blind from the drugs and the therapists and doctors weren't sorry or apologized, they told me to deal with it, they weren't going to lower my dose. So talking about angels and listening to Scientology sounds really comforting to me compared to what the mainstream psychology and psychiatric establishment represents. The mainstream establishment feels to me like a Hitler regime.